Mounting HP7970e 9-Trk 1/2" Tape Drive

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Feb 5 00:25:31 CST 2019

On 2/4/19 3:40 PM, Jack Harper via cctalk wrote:

> Greetings to the List -
>
> I am mounting a couple of heavy (130-pounds each) HP7970e tape drives to
> a 19" rack.
>
> The screw holes that mate to the standard spaced holes on the right side
> of the drive after you open the case are visible and obvious.
>
> However, the holes on the left are hidden under the heavy die-cast(?)
> frame of the drive.
>
> Anyone know how to get to those three screw holes with a horrible
> disassembly.
>
> There has to be a trick to this that I don't see (so what else is new? :)

There's a mounting kit for this as described here;

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/hp/tape/7970/07970-90383_7970B_7970C_Operating_and_Service_Manual_upd_Feb76/07970-90383_7970B_7970C_Operating_and_Service_Manual_Section_1.pdf

Page 2-1, section 2-8, installation.

Whatever you do, be sure that your rack has an "anti-tip" foot (most
full-size 19" HP racks do.  When you open the drive, the entire assembly
but for the card cages and the power supply swing out.  It's more than
enough to tip a rack over.

--Chuck