TRS-80 Fireworks

Peter Cetinski pete at pski.net
Wed Aug 28 08:59:09 CDT 2019

> On Aug 28, 2019, at 9:34 AM, Marvin Johnston via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks everyone for the feedback... I had no idea. I'll be putting in an order today with Digi-key (P/N 399-7483-ND) for probably around 25+ caps or so since I have at least that many TRS-80 2s, 3s, 4s.
>
> I guess my only question is are there other similar caps that also need to be replaced? I'm well aware of the electrolytics and have that project on the back burner right now (about 10 Model 100s to repair.) It is nice that they are pretty trivial to replace!
>
> Marvin

I’ve had very few problems with electrolytics in the many TRS-80s I’ve worked on.  It seems to be one of the places where Tandy did not cheap out.  There are some tantalum capacitors to be found in TRS-80s.  These have a tendency to fail to short so I am wary of them but still, I would probably not replace any unless they failed.