Control Data 9766 drive on epay

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 13:53:51 CDT 2019

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 2:40 PM Alan Perry via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Would this have been connected to a CDC Cyber back in the day? I noticed
> that this is in Athens, GA, home of University of Georgia. The first
> programs that I ever wrote were on a CDC Cyber there (via a 300-baud
> acoustic coupler modem at Valdosta State College).

I am not a CDC CPU expert but I know that various CDC SMD drives,
especially the 9762 and 9766 were found on PDP-11s and VAXen owing to
inexpensive (compared to DEC) 3rd Party disk controllers (and drivers
for various operating systems).  The drive mechs were also repackaged
and put behind modified SMD-Massbus interfaces and were available from
DEC as the RM02/RM03 (9762) and RM05 (9766) but they were DEC badged
not CDC badged (colors, labels, etc) so you wouldn't mistake one from
the other externally.

I happen to have a 9766 (and at least one SMD interface for either
Unibus or Qbus) but no pack.

-ethan