I'm sharing a toy

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Aug 8 13:26:42 CDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 12:20 PM ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 8/8/2019 7:59 AM, Huw Davies via cctalk wrote:
> >

> >> On 8 Aug 2019, at 15:18, Adam Thornton via cctalk <
> cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> https://mvsevm.fsf.net
> >>
> >> Currently, the TOPS-10 guest account (42,42) and the Unix v7 account
> dmr have no passwords.
> >
> > Just logged into TOPS-10 for the first time in many years! Far too much
> brain bit rot but it will encourage me to build up my own RPi emulation
> setup!
> >
> > Thanks.
> Does the PI in use have good media storage device?
> I suspect TOPS and UNIX swap pages like mad. A little SD card might wear
> out in few weeks.

Even the crappiest of crap SD cards these days aren't that fragile. You'd
need to swap on the order of GB/s to wear it out that fast. Most of the SD
cards can handle hundreds of full drive writes. At 128GB, you're looking at
needing to generate about ~25TB of effective writes before you'd wear them
out. Even with a crazy 10x write amp (typical is 2-3), there's no way you'd
get that through an interface that's measured in the tens of MB/s.

Warner

Warner