looking for a 7-track reel tape controller

P Gebhardt p.gebhardt at ymail.com
Tue Aug 6 12:50:42 CDT 2019

Hello Paul,
thanks a lot for your hint to the DEC controller. I wasn't aware that the TM11, TMA11 and TMB11 controllers can handle 9-track as well as 7-track NRZI-encoded tape drives. However, all these controllers seem to be very rare in the public out there. Not too surprising considering that DEC TU and TS tape drives themselves are rare and that 7-track tape drives were soon replaced by 9-track tape technology in the early days.

With best regards,
Pierre

http://www.digitalheritage.de

Am Dienstag, 6. August 2019, 19:49:14 MESZ hat P Gebhardt <p.gebhardt at ymail.com> Folgendes geschrieben:

Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for your hint to the DEC controller. I wasn't aware that the TM11, TMA11 and TMB11 controllers can handle 9-track as well as 7-track NRZI-encoded tape drives. However, all these controllers seem to be very rare in the public out there. Not too surprising considering that DEC TU and TS tape drives themselves are rare and that 7-track tape drives were soon replaced by 9-track tape technology in the early days.

With best regards,
Pierre

http://www.digitalheritage.de

Am Freitag, 2. August 2019, 07:04:02 MESZ hat Paul Koning via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> Folgendes geschrieben:

It may depend more on what kind of tape drive you have.

The DEC TU10 controller handles both  7 and 9 track tapes.

    paul