What do to with an Internet-connected PDP-11?

Patrick Finnegan pat at vax11.net
Mon Apr 29 10:00:34 CDT 2019

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 6:14 PM Richard Cini via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> So, for playing around, what can I practically do with this? Is it even
> possible to access any Web sites (unconventional browsing for sure; I’ve
> read about telnetting to port 80)? I’m sure email is possible, as is
> FTP/Telnet (I’ve used that inside my lab setup), but I don’t really know
> where to start with that.
>

>                 If anyone has any pointers/suggestions, I’d appreciate it.

So, having just gone through some of this with my TeleVideo stuff, my
suggestion is to do a bit of work on both the client (PDP-11) and something
a bit faster, which can handle encryption etc.

I wrote a couple of simple web services and some Z80 code (obviously your
PDP-11 code will be a bit different but with a similar concept), to parse
the HTML on something using a web service (I used an apache CGI script to
make it simple), and send the parsed results to the client.

It's not interactive, but it seemed like the most elegant solution to the
problem.

If you want to see my code, check out "cgi/tvi-lynx.pl" and
"almmmost/z80/LYNXGET.ZASM":
https://github.com/vax11/almmmost

Pat