Storage for 1/2" open reel tape

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Fri Apr 5 18:15:14 CDT 2019

On 4/5/19 4:44 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> The IRS facility photo used the IBM style; not flexible, but rather a
> two-part sliding rigid plastic arrangement.  I think that the IRS also
> used a robotic "picker.

I'd hazard a guess that the IRS acquired theirs from IBM.  Even if they
are more expensive per reel / hanger, they are approved, from an
approved vendor, in the system.  "Hay Bob, order X hangers next time you
submit an order."  No need to think beyond that.  It just happens.

> I'd have to take a photo of one, I think, though if you have a very
> ancient Wright-Line catalog, it's probably in there.
>
> But basically, just behind the "hook", there's a black plastic latch.
> When closed, it tensions the white band.
>
> https://www.electronicsurplus.it/open2b/var/products/27/92/0-d95b2a25-800.jpg

ACK

I'm getting the mental impression that it's somewhat like a spring form
pan.  The latch opens and releases tension off of the strip that goes
around the tape reel.  When it's latched, it cinches against it.  When
it's unlatched, there's enough play to allow the tape reel to come out.

Am I remotely close?

I wonder if some of this could be 3D printed.

> what was convenient with those is that the latch-and-hook are attached
> to the vinyl band by fitting with a couple of holes punched in the band.
> In a pinch, you could make hangers for smaller (than 10.5") reels by
> cutting and punching new holes.

ACK

--
Grant. . . .