2.11 BSD on an 11/93 with an CMD SCSI Module

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Wed Apr 3 12:56:12 CDT 2019

Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:

> On 4/2/19 11:21 PM, Glen Slick via cctalk wrote:

> >> Let's make it simple.  Here's that section of my dtab file:
> >>
> >> # If you have DL11s, you must give each line an explicit unit number instead
> >> # of using a '?' as above.  If you use a '?', autoconfig(8) will start
> >> # assigning unit numbers starting at 0 which will effectively move your
> >> # console to that first line.  Start your unit numbers with '1'.
> >> #
> >> # cn    1 176500 300    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
> >> cn      1 176500 300    5       cnrint  cnxint
> >> cn      2 176510 310    5       cnrint  cnxint
> >> cn      3 176520 320    5       cnrint  cnxint
> >> cn      4 176530 330    5       cnrint  cnxint
> >> cn      5 176540 340    5       cnrint  cnxint
> >> cn      6 176550 350    5       cnrint  cnxint
> >> cn      7 176560 360    5       cnrint  cnxint
> >
> > Hmm, I spent some time experimenting with this on a SIMH PDP-11 and it
> > appears that the device entry lines in /etc/dtab cannot end exactly at
> > the last character of an interrupt handler name. At least one
> > isspace() character is required before the newline character at the
> > end of the line. I would consider that a bug in the read_dtab()
> > routine in src/sys/autoconfig/read_dtab.c
> >
> > These are the device entry lines I ended up adding to /etc/dtab to
> > ensure that there is at least one isspace() character before the
> > newline character at the end of the line. The '#' comment character
> > isn't necessary, just makes it obvious that there is at least one
> > isspace() character after the last interrupt handler name.
> >
> > cn      1 176500 300    5       cnrint  cnxint  #
> > cn      2 176510 310    5       cnrint  cnxint  #
> > cn      3 176520 320    5       cnrint  cnxint  #
> > cn      4 176530 330    5       cnrint  cnxint  #
> > cn      5 176540 340    5       cnrint  cnxint  #
> > cn      6 176550 350    5       cnrint  cnxint  #
> > cn      7 176560 360    5       cnrint  cnxint  #
> >
> > After changing the NKL definition in the kernel configuration file and
> > rebuilding and installing a new kernel with that change I now get this
> > when booting the system:
> >
> > November  1 10:44:01 init: configure system
> >
> > ra 0 csr 172150 vector 154 vectorset attached
> > rl 0 csr 174400 vector 160 attached
> > rx 0 csr 177170 vector 264 attached
> > tms 0 csr 174500 vector 260 vectorset attached
> > cn 1 csr 176500 vector 300 attached
> > cn 2 csr 176510 vector 310 attached
> > cn 3 csr 176520 vector 320 attached
> > cn 4 csr 176530 vector 330 attached
> > cn 5 csr 176540 vector 340 attached
> > cn 6 csr 176550 vector 350 attached
> > cn 7 csr 176560 vector 360 attached
> > erase, kill ^U, intr ^C
> >
> > To create the device nodes for the additional DL lines in /dev I then
> > did the following:
> >
> > # cd /dev
> > # rm ttyl*
> > # ./MAKEDEV dl1 dl2 dl3 dl4 dl5 dl6 dl7
> > # ls -l ttyl*
> > crw-------  1 root       0,   1 Nov  1 10:59 ttyl1
> > crw-------  1 root       0,   2 Nov  1 10:59 ttyl2
> [...]

I have an 11/83 running rt11,rsx11,xxdp and 2.11 bsd (patched) under my
desk for years, but it gets seldom powered on...last boot was in
January..
I think I put an CMD220 or CDM240 in it, and I have SCSI disks and
an additional 8GB quarter Inch Tape Drive from Tandberg (SLR5) mounted,
works fine.. I think I have an DHV11 in it, had to boot first to kow it
exactly. Network is also working.

Regards,

Holm
info at tsht.de Fax +49 3731 74200 Tel +49 3731 74222 Mobil: 0172 8790 741