Oddball Terminals (Was: Re: VT100's)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Sep 7 18:28:09 CDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 5:16 PM Frank McConnell via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 12:00, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> > interesting.. the vt71t has inverted-T cursor keys
>
> And CAPS LOCK in the home row to the left of the A key.  The VT220 made it
> w-i-d-e.  Can we now fix the blame for the two of the three worst ideas in
> computer keyboard design on d|i|g|i|t|a|l?  (#3 would be sending CONTROL to
> live in the spacebar row and I think maybe we need to blame IBM for that.)

Yes. I had an old DEC Rainbow... For years I used it as a terminal, but I
hacked things to swap the CAPS LOCK and CONTROL keys. But the control key
was still to the left of the CAPS LOCK key. It was the IBM PC keyboard that
moved the control key below the Shift key. Most other terminals before then
didn't do that :(

Warner