WTB: 64K cache SIMM (72-pin)

David Griffith dave at 661.org
Sat Sep 1 22:44:32 CDT 2018

On September 1, 2018 9:41:37 AM PDT, Cameron Kaiser via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> > Trying to restore an Alpha Micro ColdFire-based system, and it's
>missing
>> > its cache SIMM. It works without it, but it sure would be nice. AM
>doesn't
>> > have much info on it but it appears to be a 72-pin 64KB SIMM
>(unknown
>> > speed), same keying as 72-pin RAM SIMMs.
>> >
>> > I doubt this is a custom part and ISTR that PCs of around that time
>used
>> > something similar. If you've got something like this mouldering in
>your
>> > parts drawer, please advise. Thanks!
>> >
>> I have three devices which if I remember right were cache modules,
>but
>> they all appear to be 80 pin devices.
>> Slightly longer pins than the typical 72-pin SIMMs, fit into a
>vertical
>> socket on the MB. Any chance you've got the pin count wrong?
>
>An excellent question, but it is exactly the same socket as the 72-pin
>RAM
>SIMMs below it. I even labouriously counted all the pins on the board
>socket
>this morning just in case I'd missed something, and it's 72. The
>service
>manual even warns against installing RAM there.
>
>Is this actually a *non*-standard thing? I know Apple had all kinds of
>boffo
>L2 cache configurations for the beige Power Macs but Apple's Apple and
>certainly larger than Alpha Micro.
>
>--
>http://www.cameronkaiser.com/ --
>Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com *
>ckaiser at floodgap.com
>-- Seen on hand dryer: "Push button for a message from your
>congressman." -----

I had a regular Pentium motherboard with cache like that.  The manual describes this as COAST for Cache On A Stick.  The actual  SIMM has gold fingers that are much longer than the ones found on regular DRAM SIMMs.  I curiously tried putting a regular SIMM into a COAST slot and vice versa.  It didn't work because of this length difference.
--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org