70's computers

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Oct 24 10:47:46 CDT 2018

On 10/24/2018 07:01 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
> An observation about RISC: I've opined before that the CISC->RISC
> transition was driven, in part, by the changing balance of CPU speed
> versus memory speed: with slow memory and fast CPUs, it makes sense to get
> as much execution bang out of every fetch buck (so complex instructions);
> but when memory bandwidth goes up, one needs a fast CPU to use it all
> (so simple instructions).

Maybe I need to finish my coffee before posting, but here goes anyway....

I thought memory and CPU speed used to be somewhat comparable
historically.  And that such is NOT the case now.

As such, I feel like the industry has probably ended up going the wrong
way based on Noel's statement.

Am I failing to take into account the memory fetch buck being transacted
out of L1 / L2 cache (hopefully not main memory)?

Will someone show me a clue-by-four (but not hit me in the face with
it)?  Please and thank you.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die