Desktop Metaphor

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Oct 23 13:10:38 CDT 2018

On 10/23/18 10:46 AM, Rick Bensene via cctalk wrote:

> I remember tinkering around with the Star, which by the time I was at the company, had been pretty much put out to pasture.   The environment was quite intuitive, and easy to use, though it took me a little while to get my mind wrapped around the concept of Smalltalk, because I had no exposure to object environments prior to playing with the machine.   I was surprised at how responsive the machine was considering that the tech in it by that time was pretty old.   It was definitely an education playing with it.   I wonder whatever happened to that machine?  Hmmm...maybe I should send out some Emails to folks that I worked with back then.....

Finding an 8010 running Smalltalk is one of the missing links.
So far, no one has been able to get the 6085 images working I recovered a few years ago.

8010 and 6085 Smalltalk were marketed by Xerox Special Information Systems in Pasadena
Some information is available under http://bitsavers.org/pdf/xerox/xsis

"Golden Tiger" which evolved into Analyst were developed for a three letter government agency.