Desktop Metaphor

ben bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Tue Oct 23 12:12:01 CDT 2018

On 10/23/2018 4:33 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 21:19, ben via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>> Try and find a printed page size PDF
>> reader, or one a tad smaller. Reading a PDF on a KINDLE DOES NOT WORK.
>
> I suggest you look at the Kindle DX.
>
> I bought one. I got it 2nd hand, from the USA, via eBay.

I piced up a used 9.7 inch Onyx Boox off ebay.
I live in CANADA so got the useless AMAZON -- no selecton, massive
shipping charges, and no products sold from CANADA.

> https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireless-Reader-3G-Global/dp/B002GYWHSQ
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Globally/dp/B0015TG12Q

When I was looking for a new reader, all I could find was the 6" crap
on the web, thus my kindle statement. Until they bring back the DX
I still feel we are stuck with crappy low priced readers and windows 95
windows.

> One of the main reasons I got it is that it renders PDFs well and a
> lot of important computer history books and the like are only readily
> available as PDFs.

Where do you get them? I know of Bitsavers but that is all.
Ben.
PS: WIRTH still has his stuff around for GUI system.
https://people.inf.ethz.ch/wirth/