Advice needed: Entry point into things PDP-8

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:52:44 CDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:11 AM systems_glitch via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> There's also our Ohio Scientific 560Z "Processor Lab" reproduction:
>
> http://www.glitchwrks.com/2017/02/26/osi-560z-build

That's fun.

For a long time now, I've wanted to noodle around on a Challenger 3.
We had a family friend in the 1970s who had one and I used to go visit
and spend hours on it.  I was using PETs every week at the same time
so it was a bit of a shift to a floppy-based system and one that had 3
CPUs on top of that!  I started fiddling with PDP-8s about 4-5 years
later and was surprised to learn there was a PDP-8-on-a-chip (IM6100
then later then IM6120).   Very cool that you've made it available
now.  I just don't think I'll ever run across a Challenger 3.  I
haven't in the past 30 years, and I live about 2 hours from where they
were made.

Was the original 560Z a popular board?  I'm guessing it was a niche product.

-ethan