Microsoft-Paul Allen

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 08:44:45 CDT 2018

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 at 12:55, Adam Sampson via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Do you mean sold up to that point? Amstrad went on to sell several
> million PCWs with CP/M later in the 1980s. (They say 8 million on
> http://www.amstrad.com/products/archive/, but that includes the
> much less popular PCW16 which wasn't a CP/M machine.)

I was going to make the same cavil. :-)

The PCW was wildly successful, but not in the USA, and USAnians tend
to forget about anything that wasn't big in their own country.

I think the PCWs were also the only widely-successful CP/M *3* computers.

Although to be fair I suspect that many users never left LocoScript.
Certainly some of my acquaintance were astonished to learn that they
had the option to upgrade to LocoScript 2 (8*** series owners) or 3 /
4 (8*** & 9*** series owners). I think mostly just people who bought
additional printers learned that.

Poor marketing by Locomotive, sadly.