Microsoft-Paul Allen

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Oct 20 12:31:20 CDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 01:50:20AM -0600, Jim Manley via cctalk wrote:
> I thought it was just hilarious that Microsoft chose The Rolling
> Stones' "Start Me Up" for the theme song at the launch of Windows 95,
> unaware of the later lyrics in the song (not played during the launch,
> oddly enough), "You make a grown man cry-y-y ... You make a grown man
> cry-y-y ... You make a grown man cry-y-y ... "
[...]

Oooh. My personal recollection about w95 is that there was a lot of
touting before the premiere day, how advanced it was because "object
oriented operating system". The premiere came, the toutings quickly
faded away, never heard any kind of objection about this aspect. I,
for quite long time, had been thinking W95 was a scam because for the
life of me I could not spot any sign of its object-orientedness (and
there was nothing else interesting enough to make me want to tinker
with this... something). It was only years later that it finally came
to me: I might have been one of the very few people who not only
understood some of the buzzwords but also was duped into believing
there should be some substance behind them (which maybe makes me
exceptional, just not in a good way).

Nowadays, I consider W95 as very interesting subject of study - a
technical product of non-technical genius(es) (ok, if there were tech
geniuses involved in its making, I would say it does not show up). It
took a lot of manipulation and wind sniffing to make it such a big
success, and plenty of intellectual indolence from rivals and
customers.

:-)

--
Regards,