[TUHS] Ultrix Tape: Block Size?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Oct 16 13:37:04 CDT 2018

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 1:23 PM, William Pechter via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> DEC Tape II was the serial driven TU58.
> The TK50 was CompacTape or something like that.  It was the predecessor of a number of square tapes...
>
> See DLT on Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Linear_Tape
>
> Bill

DLT is something entirely different from "DECtape II" -- that is a little rubber band driven cartridge, extremely slow and extremely lousy.  DLT is fast, 1/2 inch tape, serpentine recording.  It's the direct ancestor of a whole series of cartridge tapes of ever increasing capacity.

I used DLT on RSTS systems, with a Qbus interface.  Those were modest speed hosts and buses, but I never remember data late or overrun issues, and we drove those tapes quite hard in full time streaming mode for backup and software distribution.  Longer blocks, too (2k or so) which would make any buffering issues more severe.