OT- Thunderbird ugliness, Was: Eudora email client source code released

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed May 23 20:53:09 CDT 2018

On 05/23/2018 11:30 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Gmail also allows for a POP3 interface.

I /think/ I knew that.  But I obviously forgot it.

I was actually trying to remember if Gmail had something more akin to
ActiveSync or something else that ran over top of HTTPS that email
clients could use in lieu of IMAP or POP3.

… searching …

Yep, Gmail supports Google Sync.

Link - What is Google Sync?
  - https://support.google.com/a/answer/135937?hl=en

I was sort of wondering if you were using that, or something else like
that.  Or if it was IMAP / POP3.

> I'd originally used the suggested IMAP interface and then had a
> bit of a net outage.  I discovered that I had no copies of my inbox
> messages--apparently, they resided on Google's servers.   So I went to
> the POP interface, where the message is deleted from the server when I
> receive it.

Yep, IMAP is server based, and great for multiple devices trying to
access the same mailbox.

The thing that you didn't do was configure your email client to retain a
local copy of all of your email.  (I proactively did that years ago.)

> Otherwise, for me, it's been a progression of email clients.  elm,
> pine, eudora, Courier, Pegasus and finally Thunderbird, which has worked
> passably well to date.

I don't think I've used Courier myself.  I may have to check it out.  Is
it just another IMAP / POP3 / SMTP style email client like Eudora &
Thunderbird?  Or does it have something else to offer?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die