HP 3000/37 console

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Tue May 8 14:27:26 CDT 2018

On May 7, 2018, at 21:36, Mike Loewen wrote:
>   Does anyone know if a non-HP terminal will work as the console for a HP 3000 Series 37?  The power-on self-test uses ENQ/ACK to speed sense, but the manual also implies that it will sense speed from a <CR>.  On my 37, the TIC self-test passes up to the point where it talks to the terminal, but fails to to speed sense.

You can fake it by typing control-F (ACK) repeatedly from when you apply power to the 3000 until it starts sending text.  But you will need to keep doing it as the firmware console code will keep doing ENQ/ACK every line or so for flow control after speed sensing.

I just did this with an HP 3000 Micro GX, and Reflection 1 VT on an HP Portable Plus.  It can be made to work but is not my idea of a good time.  Good thing there is Reflection 1 HP in that Portable Plus too.

-Frank McConnell