Digitising collections of microfiche - Re: Looking for opinions...

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Wed Mar 28 17:18:29 CDT 2018

> You figure if a couple of college kids can build a robot that can solve a
> Rubik's Cube in 380ms, a bunch of really smart old guys should be able to
> cobble together a DIY microfiche scanner.
> g.

Mentioned it in an IRC channel.

Friends started talking about it.

The open source hughin software is what the people scanning microchip
photos to reverse engineer them are using. Looks like it could handle that
part.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Friend was saying new Sony mirrorless (Sony has been a huge player in
digital mirrorless cameras recently) have 42MP sensors. His approach was
image the whole thing at once but I'm not sure the resolution would be
good enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of something mirrorless and moving the
film around capturing areas, pile the images in a dir for each fische,
then stich and save.

 			- Ethan

--
: Ethan O'Toole