Compaq 9000 Series Rack Screws

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Tue Mar 27 07:10:43 CDT 2018

Ali said
>> F.Y.I. the links to the pictures from the linked to page aren't
>> publicly accessible.
>
> As grant has pointed out the pictures will not show up unless you are a VCF member. However, the screws are very similar to this in shape:
>
> https://monsterbolts.com/products/6mm-m6-x-1-0-stainless-steel-button-head-socket-cap-screws-iso-7380-18-8-a2?variant=36156796108
>
> I have done some more digging and I believe the screws are Button Head 10mm M6 screws w/ T30 drive. The problem is that the head diameter needs to be 9.2mm wide. The screws above (and most other one's I have found) are 10mm or wider. The HP screws I mentioned earlier are 10.26mm wide and they of
course will not clear the side panels.>
> So again if anyone has OEM Compaq screws they want to part with I am your man.

I had a similar problem racking up an old Digittronics paper tape reader from the early 70s. The reader faceplate was a fairly
thick piece of aluminum plate with recessed holes for the rack screws, and my modern server rack screws and captive nuts were
oversize. The screws had to be recessed because the rear face of the stinless steel paper tape input and output hoppers were
flush with the faceplate and latched on by sliding downwards to engage two flat-headed pins.

In my case it was a simple job to chuck a few of the screws in the lathe and skim the heads down by 1 or 2 mm overall diameter,
but it would not have been much more effort to put them in a an electric drill chuck and hold a file against them. If you
can't find the correct ones perhaps you could try that approach.

Steve.