An NTSC Atari looks good on a PAL TV. How come?

Adrian Graham binarydinosaurs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 05:04:07 CST 2018

> I'm assuming it's because composite input into "relatively" modern can
> handle NTSC and PAL?  Is this a reasonable thought?  The UAV is not an
NTSC
> converter, and even the inventor was surprised this worked.

I remember getting my Atari 1200XL back in 2000 or thereabouts and was
surprised to find I got a good picture on my 1996 Toshiba TV. I think as
soon as PAL TVs gained SCART sockets and RGB composite they also got the
capability to handle NTSC signals. Even my cheapo Fuji portable will handle
NTSC and quite probably SECAM and others. If I ever get my hands on a
Thomson TO7 I'll be able to try it :)

Cheers

--
adrian/witchy
Owner of Binary Dinosaurs, the UK's biggest home computer collection?