Thicknet/10base5 Test Segment: The Cable is In!

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 16:30:32 CDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Pete Turnbull via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 29/06/2018 14:31, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>> Yes, and the specified distance limit for RS232 is quite short, 50
>> feet or so.
>>
>> People have used RS232 over longer distances, of course, and gotten
>> away with it.
>
> In practice, much depends on the baud rate and cable quality used.

When we wired up two different locations for terminals at Software
Results Corp in the 80s, the furthest runs were 250' or so.  9600
baud, from VT100s back to Emulex and DEC serial muxes.  The long runs
were 25-pair telephone cable (CAT3) and  Nevada Western modular wiring
products at the user and and in the middle (silver satin patch cords
and 6p6c jacks and receptacles).   Total port count was over 50 to 4-5
machines and to 20+ offices.

We didn't see any real transmission problems.  Way over the usual
distances but solid for us.

-ethan