Modifying microcode

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 13:43:30 CDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 7:37 PM, Alan Frisbie <Flash688 at flying-disk.com> wrote:
> Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > until the 8085 CFE loaded the microcode.
>>
>> Loaded from a TU58 cartridge, which is the main reason my 11/730 is not
>> running at the moment. The hardware is fine, I've rebuilt the drive
>> rollers,
>> but as yet don't have a readable tape (not even blank, to write the
>> microcode onto).
>
> I'm pretty sure that I have a complete set of 11/730 TU58 tapes in
> my storage unit.   I might even have some brand new tapes.   If I
> can find them, I would be happy to send them to you.   They have
> been sitting in storage for probably 20 years, so there are no
> guarantee that they are readable.

Thanks... I will certanly give them a go. I am pretty sure the problem
I am having is the tape, I get a low (and varying) amplitude signal at
the output of the read amplifier, it varies with different tapes, and it's
much the same both on the drive in the 11/730 and a standalone
TU58 I have.

You do realise that I am across the Pond, I hope :-).  I am happy to
cover postage and packing expenses, of course.

> I'm cleaning out the storage unit right now, in preparation for
> moving, so I'll keep an eye out for them.

When I moved house 3.5 years ago, it took _5_ large removal
lorries to carry everything. Oh well...

-tony