Global Village 56k modem for shipping

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:36:41 CDT 2018

> On Jul 29, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Yes, I capisce.
>
> Being "in original box (opened and inspected, not tested), includes power supply and software on CD (for Mac OS 8)." implies that it's as sent by the vendor, who sold it configured for Mac, and is less likely to have provided BOTH.
> I'm just gently chiding you about availability of "standard" cables, which you probably have a cubic yard of.
> But, it IS true that it could have a Mac cable fused to it, with no other cabling feasible.
>

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, Ed Sharpe wrote:
>
>> well   don't  care  about  software  but  it  may have  ad a  real  rs232  connector on the  modem  and the mac   cable  was an ad on  Kapish? Ed#

…don’t know whether to top-post or not :-) .
Sorry for slow reply, was off-line (and going to be doing that a lot the next few days).
The communications cable from the modem doesn’t detach (well, reversibly) at the modem end.
The whole package is pretty clearly Mac-centric, so that doesn’t surprise me.

Basically Fred diagnosed the situation accurately. The only thing I’ll add is that I was not the original owner, and there may be missing elements from the package (registration card, etc.) that I don’t know to look for. The hardware looks complete (from a compact Mac owner’s perspective) - just add telco connections and you are ready to communicate at a blazing 56k bits/s. :-)

In a week or so I’ll hunt for other modems, but it’s not unlikely they will fall into the same category. Ed, I’ll keep you in mind and will let you know if I find anything with DE-25 or DB-9 on the modem.

				- Mark