Epson DECTalk IC

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Jul 26 16:03:41 CDT 2018

I came across Votrax at University of Illinois, where they attached Votrax boxes with that chip in it to the PLATO terminals.  You could write programs ("lessons") that would talk to you, and the software would generate the correct data stream.  It couldn't handle straight English because of the spelling complications, but there was a semi-phonetic English notation that would work.  It did handle German, Esperanto, Spanish, and IPA.  For a test case, someone fed it the German sentence "Auf den Autobahnen gibt es keine Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzungen" and it handled that fine.  :-)

	paul