Another DCJ11 oddity

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Sun Jul 15 10:28:29 CDT 2018

On 7/10/18 2:38 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>      > From: Jerry Weiss
>
>      > See http://simh.trailing-edge.com/semi/j11.html for information on the
>      > design of the J11.
>
> Thanks for that pointer; I don't think I've ever seen that - quite
> interesting.
>
> Alas, it didn't have the cache info - but now that I've though about it
> overnight, I'm pretty sure the reason for the two bits that do the same thing
> is for -11/70 compatability.

There is mention in the J-11 specification documents stating 11/70 and
11/44 features were the target.      The force miss CCR bits are present
in both, to allow for segregation of the cache(s).  Thus the
compatibility may span both.    Interesting to note that if there were
feature conflicts, these where solved in favor of the 11/44 except for
special cases.

You can find copies in
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dec/pdp11/j11

Jerry