An historical nit about FDDs

Tom Gardner t.gardner at computer.org
Fri Jul 13 13:04:33 CDT 2018

Jon:
The 23FD used on most S/370 mainframes had a two solenoid and swash plate actuator, pulse the in  solenoid to go in and the out solenoid to go out.
IBM SJ in those days was very cost conscious and preferred mechanical parts over electronic, hence this mechanism instead of the stepper motor implement by most (all?) other FDD manufacturers.

Chuck and Paul:
It's all relative - key to disk systems were taking off and the IBM 3470 blessed the market.  The 1973 Shugart Associates business plan acknowledged Memorex as the then market leader in FDDs - MRX had Mohawk Data Systems and had shipped product to 45 potential customers.  SA estimated the market to be 327k units in 1973 growing to 633k by 1977, a big number in the 1970s and big enough to attract venture capital.  The big customer turned out to be Wang which SA won.

The FDD and FD were invented by a number of folks at IBM most of whom did join Al at Memorex see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_floppy_disk#/media/File:FDD_patents_collage.png

All:
The first product was the SA900 not the SA800; it had a step/direction interface, and my guess now it was to save an IC or two in the circuits to drive the stepper motor.

Tom