8 inch floppies, decaying

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:29:41 CDT 2018

I don't recall the concentration I used. I would recommend not using it for most conditions. I recall that I'd tried various other cleaning methods. I recall using water, water/detergent and may have even tried windex(?). None of the other things would touch it. The stuff on the surfaces was the adhesive use to hold the fiber envelope liners in place. I removed the disk from their envelopes and placed the disk on a clean flat plastic surface. I use swabs to rub the areas effected ( it looked similar to what we call screen fungus ). I went through a lot of swabs and I believe I rinsed them afterwards.

There are a few other cleaning methods that one might try. I've never tried these myself

The first might make you cringe a little. That is to use saliva. It is actually a type of digesting fluid. Of course, rinse it off when you get the offending stuff loose.

Next is the smooth orange oil hand cleaner. ( not the stuff with pumas ). Really cleans things great and good for killing ants. Again, rinse maybe it might need a little detergent and then rinse.

WIndex, maybe.

GooGone, also a maybe ( I expect it to damage the disk but who knows )

In general I'd go with Chuck's advice. He has done more work with disk and tapes than anyone here else except possibly Al.

Dwight