Interest Check: Belden Thicknet 10base5 Ethernet Coax

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 30 17:54:27 CST 2018

On 01/30/2018 04:47 PM, systems_glitch via cctalk wrote:
> Per the recent discussion on thicknet/early Ethernet, I figured I'd see
> if there's any interest in cut-to-length Belden thicknet/10base5 Ethernet
> cable. I've got a local surplus guy who's got at least one 1100 foot roll.
> It's the real Ethernet spec stuff, sez so on the cable, and it has the
> bands to locate your vampire taps.

Intriguing.

> If there's enough interest, I'll buy the spool off of him and cut it to
> length for whoever's interested in buying some. I can crimp N terminations
> on as well.

I'm sure my wife will question it, but I'm interested in knowing more.
(The rules are that I have to be able to move it by myself, it can't be
too loud, and it can't significantly alter the power bill.)

What sort of price per foot, per N connector, and your time & effort are
you thinking about?

Depending on all of the above, I'd be curious to have one or two
segments long enough to have two connections / taps each.

Also, how well can the hose pipe be coiled for shipping?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die