QSIC update - v6 Unix boots and runs

Guy Sotomayor Jr ggs at shiresoft.com
Mon Jan 29 16:06:05 CST 2018

> On Jan 29, 2018, at 1:57 PM, Phil Blundell via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2018-01-29 at 16:06 -0500, David Bridgham via cctalk wrote:
>> For those of you who are following along with our QSIC project, today
>> we
>> booted v6 Unix successfully for the first time.  We'd first tried
>> this a
>> week or two back but discovered that Unix does use partial block
>> reads
>> and writes after all and I hadn't implemented those yet.  We're
>> running
>> this on an 11/23 using the QSIC with an SD card emulating a couple
>> RK05s.
>
> That sounds pretty awesome.  Good job there!
>
> Do you know how hard it would be to take this design and make a UNIBUS
> version?  I have an 11/34 languishing under the bench in my hardware
> lab and one of the principal reasons for the languishing is that I
> don't have any drives to go with it.

It’s the UMF11 (or some derivative thereof) that I’ve been working on/off for
several (many?) years.  It’s been languishing at the moment because work
has demanded most of my time.

I had gotten to the point where most of it was working in simulation and I have
almost all of the uCode written for it and debugged.  The uCode is written in Forth.

TTFN - Guy