SCSI Controller Hanging...

Jack Harper harper at secureoutcomes.net
Wed Jan 24 10:33:20 CST 2018

Hello Plamen -

I use the SCSI controller that is built into the MVME177 transition module.

No, when I RESET the system, I just press the
RESET button on the processor board - usually
when it is hung with my software.  On this
system, I only code in 68K assembly and so I do see the "occasional" hang :)

Is the "SCSI reset option" part of the 68K/BUG RESET command?

In my documentation - and I easily may not have
the latest documentation - I only see RESET
options to force a COLD or WARM start on hardware RESET.

The documentation that I have also cautions:
"...may cause the disk controller to be out of
phase with respect to the disk configuration
tables in memory", which certainly makes sense.

However, I do not modify any of those tables from system default.

I appreciate your input.

Regards,

Jack
Evergreen, Colorado

At 11:57 AM 1/23/2018, Plamen Mihaylov wrote:
>What SCSI controller are you using - MVME320, 327 or 328 ?
>Do you reset the MVME177 board using RESET
>command from 177bug> along with SCSI bus reset  option?
>
>Best regards,
>Plamen
>

>On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 6:33 PM, Jack Harper via
>cctalk <<mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>Greetings to the List from the Snowy Rocky Mountains.
>
>Beautiful clear sunny day here at +9F :)
>
>The SCSI controller on the 68K development
>system (VMEbus) that I have cobbled together
>occasionally hangs after I reset one of the
>processor boards (there are four MVME177-005 68060 boards in the VME rack).
>
>The hang then happens when my software touches
>the SCSI drives via the ROM'd 68K/Bug I/O
>primitives and the hang will not go away even
>after another reset until I cycle power.
>
>I have never before dealt with SCSI as a
>programmer - does this sound like something is configured incorrectly?
>
>There is not much to configure.
>
>I point out that I am not certain that I have
>the termination resistors correct.
>

>Thoughts?
>
>I appreciate any advice.
>

>Regards,