SCSI Controller Hanging...

Jack Harper harper at secureoutcomes.net
Tue Jan 23 11:06:54 CST 2018

Hello Bill -

Yes, there are two 4GB (32-bit addressing) SCSI
drives on the system and they do have different drive numbers.

I will double check the SCSI termination resistor things.

Motorola documentation is very sparse on this -
"attach the termination resistor" - nothing on
exactly where or what the resistor thing looks like.

I am far stronger in software than hardware.

I appreciate the adive.

Regards,

Jack
Evergreen, Colorado

At 09:47 AM 1/23/2018, william degnan wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM, Jack Harper
>via cctalk <<mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org>cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
>Greetings to the List from the Snowy Rocky Mountains.
>
>Beautiful clear sunny day here at +9F :)
>
>The SCSI controller on the 68K development
>system (VMEbus) that I have cobbled together
>occasionally hangs after I reset one of the
>processor boards (there are four MVME177-005 68060 boards in the VME rack).
>
>The hang then happens when my software touches
>the SCSI drives via the ROM'd 68K/Bug I/O
>primitives and the hang will not go away even
>after another reset until I cycle power.
>
>I have never before dealt with SCSI as a
>programmer - does this sound like something is configured incorrectly?
>
>There is not much to configure.
>
>I point out that I am not certain that I have
>the termination resistors correct.
>

>Thoughts?
>
>I appreciate any advice.
>

>Regards,
>
>Jack
>Evergreen Colorado
>

>Jack,
>Yes, two things that I'd be checking
>1) Make sure all drives are assigned a different number
>2) Make sure you have termination somewhere.
>
>Depending on the OS there are commands to
>display the scsi devices attached, as the OS sees them.
>
>BillÂ

Jack Harper, President
Secure Outcomes Inc
2942 Evergreen Parkway, Suite 300