Google, Wikipedia directly on ASCII terminal?

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Tue Jan 16 15:07:59 CST 2018

On 01/16/2018 12:18 PM, Anders Nelson via cctalk wrote:
> I suppose one could emulate the telephone carrier dial tone and ring
> back tone with a third device, then the modems would just act like a
> direct connection after their handshake?

I doubt that will work quite like you are thinking.  There is more to an
analog phone line than the audio that comes over it.  Namely the loop
current and voltage are also additional bits of signaling.

I don't think there is such a thing as a cross over phone line.

You will quite likely need something like an old school PBX that
provides analog ports to pull this off.

My other email (which still hasn't shown up to the list) went into more
details.  TL;DR:  I think an old school AT&T / Lucent / Avaya 'Partner'
phone system would be a good candidate as they provide analog ports and
had relatively simple dialing plan.  I've picked them up from swap meets
/ ham fests for ~$20.

As far as I know, ISDN is similarly difficult to emulate.  You really
need an ISDN switch to do it.  :-(

> I'm so glad there are others who want to accurately recreate the whole
> user experience!
It's part of the fun.  Learning and overcoming problems.  It really
makes you appreciate where we are now, compared to where we have been.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die