Google, Wikipedia directly on ASCII terminal?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Jan 16 15:02:11 CST 2018

On 01/16/2018 12:31 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> The WHOLE experience?
> howzbout BUSY signal, random drop of calls, noisy/static? on line, . . .
> maybe even include human error, and randomly [rarely] dial wrong number

Or trying to call Los Gatos from Sunnyvale using an acoustic modem?  (LG
was GTE, Sunnyvale was Ma Bell--connections were tenuous at best).

Although you can get a copper POTS connection in my neighborhood, it
terminates at a fiber-fed terminal.  If you're going to get Internet
anyway, you might as well go to third-party VoIP.

I did, some time ago; I use one of the Obitalk boxes, so I can keep my
obsolescent telephones.  No problem--*I'm* obsolescent myself.

Of course, when the power goes out during a winter storm, *everything*
goes out, even if you have emergency backup power for your home.  Said
fiber-fed terminal has only about an hour of reserve power,

So a mobile phone, lousy coverage and all, is still a necessity.

--Chuck