DL10 documentation

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Tue Jan 9 11:00:21 CST 2018

Johnny Eriksson wrote:
> First question is: since the DL10 is a DMA device for a handful of
> PDP11s, what is intended at the other (unibus) end of it?
> If the idea is to get more terminal lines, maybe a DC10 scanner would
> be an easier starting point.

Right, it's for terminals.  Specifically, the DC76 supported by ITS.
ITS doesn't have many options for terminal scanners.  TK10 anyone?
Morton box?  Knight kludge?

Richard has DE10 working already, but that's not supported by ITS.
Adding that support is not out of the question, but we want to give the
DL10/DC76 a go.

Noel Chiappa wrote:
> http://bitsavers.org/www.computer.museum.uq.edu.au/pdf/DEC-10-XSRMA-A-D%20DECsystem10%20System%20Reference%20Manual.pdf
> has a definition for the -10 side of the interface on pages C-21 and
> following (page 365 of the PDF). It just specifies the I/O instructions and
> bits, there's no description of how it works.

Thanks!

> The DL10 was used in two DEC system products, the DC76 Asynchronous
> Communication System, and the DN87 and DN87S Universal Communication System
> Front Ends. I couldn't find any documentation on the former

Ouch, it's the former we want.