ID some core memory

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Jan 1 11:28:38 CST 2018

On 12/30/2017 01:21 PM, william degnan via cctalk wrote:
> Just curious...can anyone id the system that used these two types of core
> memory?  I am thinking the first is a hand-made custom core, but the 2nd is
> definitely from a commercial system.  Looks kind of IBM-ish but it's
> nothing I can ID.  It's not an IBM 1401 I don't think.
> http://vintagecomputer.net/core-memory/
There are some stamps on the metal frame in the 6th picture
that REALLY look like IBM markings.
IBM made a number of computer families in the early 60's.
How many wires pass through each core?
if it has 4 wires, that will date it as early 60's, as
almost all systems moved to 3 wires by combining the sense
and inhibit
wires by 1965 or earlier.  it does appear to have 40 bit
planes, however, which doesn't ring any IBM bells for me.
The 7070 was supposed to have an 8-digit word plus a sign
digit, so that sounds like 44 bits.

Jon