Anyone have any info on the NEC D2167D-2?

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 00:40:10 CST 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM, Ethan Dicks via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm going through a box of random ICs and one particular item is not
> showing up on my searches outside of a couple eBay auctions for chip
> collectors.
>
> The IC is a 20-pin ceramic body with side brazed legs, gold pins, chromed
> lid, with NEC D2168D on it with "-2" painted on the ceramic and date codes
> from 1984.  It's almost certainly a RAM chip of some kind, but I'm not
> finding any pinouts or data sheets.
>
> Anyone recognize this?  Anyone know a system that uses them?  I have more
> than 10, and since I haven't run across them before, I probably don't have
> a machine that needs them.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> -ethan

Msg title says D2167D, msg body says D2168D. Assuming D2167D is
correct, an NEC uPD2167 is a 16Kx1 SRAM in a 20-pin DIP package.
Separate data in and data out pins, 14 address pins,  /CS and /WE
pins.  The  uPD2167-2 has a 70ns access time, the  uPD2167-3 has a
55ns access time.

A search for uPD2167 should turn up datasheets.