Writing emulators [Was: Re: VCF PNW 2018: Pictures!]

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:01:54 CST 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 5:30 PM, dwight via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> In order to connect to the outside world, you need a way to queue event
> based on cycle counts, execution of particular address or particular
> instructions. This allows you to connect to the outside world. Other than
> that it is just looking up instructions in an instruction table.
>
> Dwight

What I've always wondered about was how the heck cycle-accurate emulation
is done. In the past I've always felt overwhelmed looking in the sources of
emulators like that to see how they do it, but maybe it's time I tried
again.

Another more-complex thing done by some emulators is compiling, on the fly,
a series of emulated machine instructions into native host machine code, to
boost performance. That's also what the Java virtual machine does.

--
        Eric Christopherson