Bendix G-15 [was: Re: VCF PNW 2018: Pictures!]

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Feb 19 21:26:17 CST 2018

On 02/19/2018 02:26 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 02/19/2018 11:48 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>> Even more to bring one back on-line, which is why it's impractical
>> to restore in the foreseeable future.
> I can't even imagine the effort it would take to get a 7090 or 7094
> operating again using volunteer labor.
>
> --Chuck

Yup.  I don't know how much logic is in a 1401, but probably
in between 500 and 1000 SMS cards.  Apparently, getting the
CHM 1401 running was a multi-year project.  The 7094 has
11,000 SMS cards!!! Completely beyond comprehension.  Given
the technology, I'm not sure how IBM kept these running when
NEW with a box of spare cards on site.  And, given how my
uVAX-II deteriorated over only 21 years of use (biggest
problem was the backplane finger contacts slowly got
unreliable), I can't imagine what kind of HELL one would go
through with 11,000 circuit cards!  Holy Moly!

Jon