[RESOLVED] Re: EPROM baking

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 18:16:07 CST 2018

On 2018-02-05 8:00 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 02/05/2018 01:02 PM, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I was going to say...I would not have thought any USB-powered prom
>> programmer to be the best solution.  I have two programmers both have their
>> own wall power connectors and they're reliable.  I am not saying that it
>> would not be possible that an USB-powered prom programmer would work, but
>> I'd personally want to stick with something with some legroom.  I always
>> measure my USB supplies and cables' output to separate out the ones that
>> don't provide enough umph from those that do.
>> Happy computing
> I don't use one now, but I used to have a USB-powered programmer and it
> worked okay for GALs and 27Cxxxx UV EPROMs as well as EEPROMs.
> However, if I were using older parts, I'm not so sure.
>
> The interesting thing is that upon opening the thing up, you could see
> pads for a wall-wart barrel jack (unpopulated).   So who knows, perhaps
> Bill's USB programmer is similarly equipped.
>
> I still use an older Xeltek Superpro for most things.  It does the job.
>
> --Chuck

I have a USB programmer I never use, the electronics in it where too
weak to drive NMOS EPROMs even with external power but was ok with CMOS
parts.  I have an old Xeltex Unipro and a Superpro as well as a more
mdern parallel port Xeltex superpro/280 and a Advin badged USB Xeltex
that uses external power they are all much more reliable but I have
found a couple programming algorithms for   small AMD PLDs that are
broken.  The old Unipro came in handy when I needed to program some
bipolar PROMs.

Paul.