OCR old software listing

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:13:06 CST 2018

Fred is right, OCR is only worth it if the document is in perfect condition. I just finish getting an old 4004 listing working. I made only two mistakes on the 4K of code that were not the fault of the poorness of the listing. Twice I put LDM instead of LD. LDM was the most commonly used.
There were still some 15 or so other errors do to the printing. It looked to be done on a ASR33 with poor registration of the print drum. Cs and 0s were often missing the right 1/3. Expecting an OCR to do much would have been a folly. Even though some 85% to 90% could be read properly. It took be about 3 weeks of evenings to make heads or tails of the code. I've finally got it running correctly.
If it had been done with an OCR, many cases it would have simply put a C instead of a 0. I'd have had to go through the listing, checking each C to make sure it was right. It is easier in many cases to have analysed what I could see and make a judgement, based on what I could see and the general context as I was typing it in.
Dwight