WTD: 9 track open reel for PDP-11

Glen Slick glen.slick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 12:32:12 CST 2018

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 10:02 AM Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> If you;re only interested in 1600 PE and 6250 GCR, the Fuji drive is a
> great choice--well-constructed and easy to operate.  Yes, it is pretty
> heavy, but in the universe of open-reel tape drives, it's a
> featherweight.  Not sure about 200 lbs, though.  I managed to get mine
> off a pickup truck bed onto a dolly, up a short flight of stairs and
> into a 6' rack single-handedly.

I have moved Fujitsu M2444AC drives in and out of racks and up and
down stairs a couple of times by myself and it has always been a bit
of a challenge without some sort of lift. Wasn't bad getting one in
the van with two people.

Table 1.2 Physical Specifications of this manual says 90 kg / 198
pounds for a bare M2444AC outside of a rack:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/fujitsu/tape/B03P-5325-0100A_02B_M244X_Series_Streaming_Tape_Drive_CE_Manual_May89.pdf

If you want something that can easily be shipped and moved around one
option is a Qualstar 1052. I wasn't impressed with the quality and
performance of those. I gave away the ones I had. They do 1600 (and
3200), but not 6250.