Original PDP-11/10 [was: Re: Origin of 'Straight 8' name]

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Dec 21 18:15:03 CST 2018

    > From: Bill Degnan

    > It's pretty well researched at this point to be true to state that the
    > first two PDP 11 models were the 11/10 and 11/20. It just takes a while
    > for this to work its way through academia.

Some places got the message a while ago:

  http://gunkies.org/w/index.php?title=PDP-11&diff=11528&oldid=11525

Note the date.

I was reading the 1970 "pdp11 handbook" (note the title - all the pictures
show machines labelled "pdp11") and read about it there.

    > From: Paul Koning

    > I'm curious about that 1 kW read-only memory. What technology is that
    > memory? At that size and that date I suspect core rope, but that would
    > be pretty expensive (due to the labor involved).

I think that's what it must be. It's the MR11-A, about which I can find very
little - it's in the 1970 "pdp11 handbook", p. 46, but I can't find anything
else.

It says there "2-piece core with wire braid, 256 wires, 64 cores". Reading
between the lines, it sounds like the customer could 'configure' the contents
(perhaps using the "2-piece core), DEC didn't do it.

If anyone knows anything about this memory, that would be really good.

	Noel