Project sonoko, x11 xterm home-made

Carlo Pisani carlojpisani at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 12:46:04 CST 2018

The prototype (1) is already working; in the pic, there is a DHT board
with a Matrox Millennium video card, and a PCI-PS/2 card. The pic
shows a running windows manager on x11.
we are using a little PowerPC 405GP board, loaded with Linux and
xorg-x11. The processor's ISA is similar to a G3 CPU, but not exactly
equal. We had to create a specific toolchain for it.

The rootfs is derived from Gentoo/Linux by using Catalyst on QEMU/PPC.
It's neat enough, and the whole process is under control (we can
choose flags, and rebuild the whole accordingly)

Currently, the only problem we have is related to the kernel,
specifically to support DeviceTree and the 405 CPU which has a weird
address alignment, thus it wastes a lot of cycles in kernel space.

If someone has experience with this CPU, we are open to hints and tips.

(1) http://93.55.217.0/wonderland/chunk_of/stuff/public/projects/sonoko-x11/node-board/dht-proto-1.png