New takes on XT-IDE, a new FDC, and a new CM/S GAL WAS: RE: More old stuff incoming

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Dec 19 14:25:00 CST 2018

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018, Ali via cctalk wrote:
> Has anyone seen these before? They seem to be a new take (just a shrink
> down) of the XT-IDE and an FDC controller that supports single density
> (FM) and 2.88 ED drives (along with the usual PC stuff). The FDC is
> interesting. I would have liked to have seen it be more like a CCIV w/
> four drive support and addresses but given that most FDCs will not
> support FM this is a great step forward.
> www.ebay.com/itm/DeluxeFloppy-8-bit-ISA-Bootable-HD-Floppy-Serial/332861819300

SOME FDC will support FM.
SOME FDC can sorta do 128 byte sectors.

It looks nice, but,
I want a DC37 external connector, instead of the serial.  Or use a header
for serial to give space for the DC37.
Or (would require moving stuff around a little, or a taller board), a
second 34 pin header, and a DC37 on a bracket with short cable.
Serial are a dime a dozen.  IBM gave away FREE serial (and 20mA!) card
with XT, just to keep us from plugging anything into the 8th slot!
(OK, that one from IBM wasn't as fast as current, . . . )

Chances are real good that it already supports 4 drives, other than the
connector.

Trivia mods should be able to enable 3 drives, with "standard", instead of
IBM "twist" cable.
And NOT by repurposing SIDE SELECT like Radio Shack did for their fourth
drive!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com