More old stuff incoming

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Dec 19 11:56:33 CST 2018

On 12/19/2018 08:20 AM, geneb via cctalk wrote:
> There's enough of a market to support folks building replicas of the
> Adlib sound card.  I've seen evidence of a Sound Blaster 1.0 replica - I
> think they called it the "Snood Bloober 1.0".

I've been following @foone's development of the Snood Bloober on
Twitter.  I may have to see about acquiring one for my old play PC.

I tell my wife to think of the old PC(s) as my version of cars that some
people mess with.  They are smaller, often (but not always) cheaper,
take up less space, and produce less noise or noxious fumes.  -
Usually.  Cavite emptor.  -  Some of the people I follow that own
mainframes are pushing the size of sub-compact cars.

> There's also Jonathan's XT-IDE card for adding "modern" mass storage to
> PC/XT class machines.
>
> If you dig into it, there's a little cottage industry for these little
> life-extending upgrades for old machines.  It's kind of like the
> computer industry making a full circle - people started companies
> building add-ons in their kitchens in the 70's and 80's and now it's
> coming back to that way again.

Yep.  I find this market extremely entertaining, encouraging, and fun to
watch from the sidelines.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die