More old stuff incoming

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Dec 19 11:18:07 CST 2018

On 12/19/18 7:41 AM, Ethan via cctalk wrote:
>> Really? Show me one that is 1) in current production, 2) offers the
>> full ISA bus (not just some decoded address lines and 8 data lines),
>> 3) plugs into a PCI slot.
>> Christian
>
> Surprised no one has used something like an ATMega or cheap USB
> connected ARM to build a USB to ISA adapter with tie in to DOSBox or
> some other emulator.

For what it's worth, I've never seen an ISA to USB or ISA to PCI
"bridge" implementation that was fully functional--and that includes P4
and later motherboards using a bridge chip.  I've been round the block
with a couple of motherboard vendors.

Some leave out legacy DMA support; others are so incomplete that the
legacy drivers don't even see the ISA card in question or that the
memory space isn't accurately mapped.

Using an ATMega to access a 16-bit ISA board with full DMA, interrupt
and local ROM seems to be a bit beyond the MCU's capabilities.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

--Chuck