SunOS 2.4 Expliot (Re: Old Sparcstations

Frank McConnell fmc at reanimators.org
Thu Dec 6 21:20:58 CST 2018

On Dec 6, 2018, at 10:39, Jeffrey S. Worley wrote:
> The Sparcstation 4/330 I reworked the NVRAM chip on….

> I wanted root.

Was there something in the way of you booting single-user?

I am thinking Suns of that era let you into a boot ROM (via BREAK on serial console, or L1+A on Sun keyboard and framebuffer console) from which you could enter a command like "boot -s” which would boot to a single-user shell.

And physical console access is a good place to start for the win.  It is less effective than it once was, but remains a good first choice.

-Frank McConnell