Prototype IBM DemiDiskette drive

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Aug 22 10:17:30 CDT 2018

Nice to see that someone managed to hang onto one of these.

To offer a bit more information on the "battle of the shirt-pocket
floppy", IBM wasn't competing just against the Sony 3.5" format, but
also the Dysan/Shugart 3.25" format, which, as is the IBM prototype,
more in the 5.25" true "floppy" format.

The field is littered with casualties.   Amstrad used the 3.0 inch CF
format for a time; Zenith had the "shrunken" 2.5" size....etc. etc.

All in all, I think the right format won the battle--3.5" floppies are
physically pretty rugged.

Not that any of this matters today. :)

--Chuck